The following photos of heavyweight and lightweight passengers cars at the Mission Road Coach Yard in Los Angeles in the early 1950s were taken by Lou Cross, a custom builder of O-scale passenger cars.
1. Southern Pacific 10-1-1 Pullman "Prior Lake" (Plan 3973A; Diagram 63; Lot 6300; built Oct-Dec 1929; sold to SP 12/48*).
2. Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific chair car. Possibly came in on a train such as the Imperial. Note the switchman at lower center and the yard office on the left.
3. Louisville and Nashville 12-1 Pullman "Raphael Semmes" (Plan 3410A; Diagram 5; Lot 4945; built as the "Chalmette" in Aug-Oct 1926 for the Sunset Limited; renamed Raphael Semmes in April 1938*)
4. Soo Line 10-1-2 Pullman "Fort Gibbon" (Plan 2585D; Diagram 79; Lot 4592; built Oct-Dec 1920*)
5. Two Union Pacific lightweight 4-4-2 sleepers visit the SP coach yard..
* The heavyweight Pullman car information was provided by Ken Clark and Ken Harrison.
from the 1950s, '60s and '70s,
return to my