1. SP 127 "Alamo." Photo taken at the Houston, Texas station in December, 1963.
Bill Kelly has provided the following information on the Alamo:
"The Alamo was built for the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio (GH&SA) by Pullman in June, 1926 as number 999. Around 1932 it got T&NO initials replacing the GH&SA. It stayed #999 until it was renumbered into the Pacific Lines roster. I don't have any firm information about the exact date of the renumbering but a guess would be in 1962 or thereabouts when all T&NO equipment was assimilated into the Pacific Lines roster. There is a good picture of this car in Wayner's 'Historic Southern Pacific Cars' (the thin, stapled edition)." (Bill Kelly, via e-mail, May 25,1998)
Note: The photo referred to by Bill appears to be an early photo of the car. It is numbered GH&SA 999 with "Southern Pacific Lines" on the letterboard.
2. SP 104 "San Jose." Photo taken at Bakersfield, California in April, 1968. The car may have been assigned to the San Joaquin Division Superintendent. It was sitting across from the station.
This car was originally EP&SW 677, built in 1914 by Pullman Standard. It became EP&SW 1054 in 1926 and SP 104 in 1930.
3. SP 133 "Guadelupe." Photo taken at the Houston, Texas station in August, 1970. The car was surprisingly still in the two-tone gray paint scheme.
Bill Kelly has provided the following information on the Gaudelupe:
"The 133 Guadalupe was built in 1912 by Pullman for the Pacific Lines as number 100, replacing an older wooden car of the same number built in 1901. In late 1925 or early 1926 it was renumbered to 127, giving up number 100 for the Airslie, and by February, 1929 had been transferred to the T&NO as number 991. It remained with this name and number until the take over in the early 60s." (Bill Kelly, via e-mail, May 25,1998)
4. SP 143 "Sierra Nevada." Photo taken at the Houston, Texas station in August, 1970. This was one of the cars sitting in the deadline at Houston and appreared to be one of the cars purchased by Judge Roy Hofeinz, owner of the Houston Astros.
This car was originally EP&SW 1053, built in 1914 by Pullman Standard. It became SP 143 in 1929.