|These views of the Church
of the Holy Sepulchre were taken from the south side of the courtyard
in front of the main entrance. They show the part of the church above
the entrance door.
In the 1952 photo (above, left) the church's south wall has been reinforced with exterior scaffolding. The church was badly in need of restoration work which was finally begun in the 1960s.
Except for the scaffolding, the church looked basically the same in 1996 (photo above, right). Note the small ladder just below the second wimdow from the left. The ladder is also visible in the 1952 photo behind the scaffolding. For more on this ladder see The Church and the Ladder: Frozen in Time.
View larger versions of the 1952 and 1996 photos:Lew Hill, Jr. Photos may be reproduced only with the consent of the author.