|These views are from the east side
of the Old City, looking across the Kidron Valley at the Mount of
The "Now" photo was taken from the top of the Old City wall at the Lion's Gate in June 1995. This view, from a location slightly north of where the 1952 photo was taken. shows the Garden of Gethsemene and Church of All Nations at the lower left. Above them is the Church of Mary Magdelene. At the upper right is the Jewish cemetery facing the Kidron Valley (also known as the Valley of Jehoshaphat). At the top of the photo is the Seven Arches Hotel.
The primary visible change is the growth of the trees. Not visible is the development that has occurred on the Mount of Olives in the open area on the left side of the 1952 photo.
The Church of All Nations was built in 1919-24 on the site of earlier Byzantine and Crusader era churches.
View larger versions of the 1952 and 1995 photos: